Toledo has a history of being very ethnic with strong European beliefs and customs. When William J. Sujkowski settled here in 1881, it was a diverse town with a large Polish population. William was very proud of his Polish heritage and wanted to show his appreciation. He established the Sujkowski Funeral Home in North Toledo in the 2800 block of LaGrange Street.
Little did William realize he had created a tradition that would last well over a century. His funeral home contained a storefront with a complete display of caskets. Business rose steadily, particularly among Polish clients, and in 1920, he opened a second store in South Toledo at 1320 Nebraska Avenue.
William's son, William K., joined the business and continued to operate the funeral home after his father's death. William K. Sujkowski passed away in September of 1967, leaving his sons, Eugene J. and Valentine F., to carry on. Eugene and Valentine worked jointly on Nebraska Avenue for over 30 years. When Eugene passed away in March of 1978, Valentine (Bill) continued the business. Subsequently, the Nebraska Avenue location was sold and the business relocated to a new South Toledo location.